Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Knapp's Castle Star Trail

     I've never taken pictures of the stars before so I thought I would take a night trip up to Knapp's Castle. I wanted to have star trail photos with an interesting background and I thought where better than Knapp's Castle on a clear half moon night. It was so beautiful this night and great for pictures (not for staying warm however). It took 35 minutes for this exposure and in total I only took 4 photos despite being there for almost three hours. This photo shows how the earth rotates around the sun and, when the shutter is open for long enough, the stars start to trail giving that motion blur. It was a lot of fun enjoying the view and sitting in the great wide open at midnight looking at all the beautiful stars. If you haven't been there, Knapp's Castle is definitely worth a trip and is really not that far off the beaten path.
     Interestingly enough, there has been some construction up there for the first time in 70 years. For more info about that and Knapp's Castle, click this link to a recent story done by the Santa Barbara Independent.

No comments:

Post a Comment